December 7, 2011

Keeping Perspective

Transparency International recently released their Corruption Index report for 2011. If you are a nerd like me or interested in those things you can discover more here (http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2011). While it's not quite as expansive as the Mo Ibrahim Foundation lists (nerds will know what that is) it focusses only on the perception of corruption.

Basically, in terms of corrpution, I think Mozambique is pretty dang bad. Mozambique ranks 120th worldwide for corruption out of 170 or so ranked countries. The bigger the number the more corrupt you are. One-hundred and twenty is a big number. That made me sad.

But that's a lot like comparing apples to oranges to put us on the same scale as Sweden or China. Mozamique ranks in 28th place out of 50 for African Countries. That's right in them middle. That made me happy. But fifty is still kind of a big number.

Comparing just Southern African countries---more like apples to apples--- Mozambique ranks 12th out of 15, ahead of only Ziimbabwe, Angola, and the country formerly known as Leopoldville (Democratic Republic of Congo). This is a low ranking. That made me sad.

Than I looked at the rankings and saw the Mozambique was tied with Iran and only one step above Syria and three about Pakistan. This made me sadder. Then I quit reading the report. But I think I got most the essentials.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like the "Fortunately/Unfortunatly" books we used to read when you were little. Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete