September 26, 2009

Cars

These updates have been flying off the griddle like hotcakes: sweet and filling with a hint of fruitiness, but then later you're like, Where did all my time go? and then you remember Oh yeah, I was eating those delicious hotcakes. I gotta get me some more of those!

First I want to apologize for the formatting/font issues as of late. If your eyes have been straining to read the ever-changing font style or size during the last couple of updates, get them checked.

Here is a great example of the better roads here in Nampula. I say that because it's really the only road into town that's paved. Its about one and one-half cars wide, and is shared by pedestrians, bicycles, motors bikes, minibuses, trucks, and big-rigs. And from time to time its also shared by tractors.


I've only seen two types of tractors here: Ford, and
Massey-Fergeson. Ironically, the Massey-Fergeson dealership sits right next to the Mercedes-Benz dealership (it must be a collusion of hyphenated named stores). It should be pointed out that I've yet to see a Mercedes-Benz on the road, This is a tractor I saw working the lumber mill. The lumber mill was operated by a separate, stationary tractor. I sat there watching for a few minutes, and given the the quality of what was coming out the other end , I guarantee you I could run it just as good with my years of expertise WATCHING logging demonstrations (thank you, Lynden).
This tractor was particularly interesting because I helped these guys to push start it twice because the driver sucks at working a clutch and the starter on the tractor was broke.




Above is an example of an automobile at its finest! This is the orphanage's truck, the translation on the side is "Jesus Christ is the King of Glory". When its not running errands for the orphanage or picking up food or supplies and solving emergencies it tries to help make ends meet my hauling loads for customers around the city and province. This has to be my favorite vehicle to drive because its the only one where I can actually get into fourth or fifth gear without my knees getting in the way.

Now, I wish to bring your attention to a serious issue threatening the orphanage, nay, the city as a whole. Its the issue of vehicle degradation. Its very easy to get hooked on something like this, and before you know it you entire car has been consumed by it. If you're not careful, it could happen to you!


It starts out with something like, "Hey, lets swap out the front axle for one with disk brakes."




That then turns into "Well, the bolt pattern on the axle that was bough for you doesn't match the chassis, so while we're at it, lets get the whole thing off the ground to check all the brakes."

That quickly becomes, "Hey, do you want a free truck!? There's one catch. The engine doesn't work and we're gonna need to use the rear tires." But seriously, I'm not gonna say that my yard hasn't been the parking lot of a broken car or two, cause it has.

Fast forward to years, and that free truck is now the orphanage's second biggest lawn ornament.

I say second biggest because THIS is the orphanage's biggest lawn ornament. What started as "Sure, we could use a free chopa that doesn't work" turned into "lets throw it up on blocks to use the tires for something else" followed by "we can sell the engine and axles for scrap parts" with "we're gonna need those blocks back" bringing up the rear



And that's all for now

No comments:

Post a Comment