September 15, 2012

Lost Kids and A Haircut.

Folks often ask about how kids come to be in our orphanage. This post is not about that. This post is about me getting my hair cut. I know, it sounds like I'm misleading you. Yes, but at the same time I'm not misleading. This post is about getting my hair cut and how kid's don't come to be in our orphanage. See what I did there? This could be a very long post, but I'm thinking this is just going to be not a long post. Again, see it?

The first several times I got a haircut, I went to people I knew that had a barbershop in the bairro and paid a dollar for them to shave my head. This turned out to be more complicated then it sounds. That's also part of the reason I just never got a haircut. But then again, I've been not getting haircuts since about 8th grade. I'd get a haircut at the start of spring and another at the start of school. And most the time it was just me or one of my brothers with the clippers in the garage making me look like I was auditioning for the marines. It's just easier that way.

Until one day I found somebody in Nampula that could actually cut hair worth a dang. Sure, it would have been easier to maybe go to one of the other missionaries in town that has a wife that knows how to cut hair, but it's not just an adventure that way. The guy I go, we now know each other by name and he's always thrilled to see me and has tons of stories to tell whenever I show up. His barber shop is right next to the hospital and so there's always lots of crazy stories about people getting treated after run-ins with the police or jilted ex-lovers or bandits. Its an entertaining time for sure. He knows I work in the orphanage and is always telling me how cool it is what I'm doing.

The last time I went in there he had whole story lined up to tell. I could tell that this one was much more somber by the tone he took as he started. It was two days before I showed up for a haircut that this all took place. He said that he came home one day to find his wife panicked and stressing out. It turns out that she had set her kid down for a minute to run around the corner and buy cooking oil. When she came back, her kid, age 4, was gone. She had no idea if he had wandered off or got taken or was just hiding. They looked all night and all night and finally wandered into to an orphanage on his side of town where somebody had found him wandering around and took him there not knowing who the kid was or who he belonged to.

He was telling me that even though it wasn't my orphanage and I'm on the other side of town, he's so grateful and appreciative that it existed for him to be able to get his kid back. He even try to give me a free haircut. I refused his gratitude and paid a measly two dollars for the haircut. It was really nice though to find people in Mozambique appreciative of the ministry that the orphanage is.

That might lead you to wonder if we ever wind up with lost and abandoned kids. The answer is no. Kind of anticlimatic, huh. There's actually kind of a system in place for that. Usually the kids just get taken to the courthouse and then info gets sent out to the police and announcements get made on the radio. Ideally, that's what is supposed to happen. However it is such a frequent occurrence that the radio station will obligingly mention it once or twice in passing and you'd be lucky to find a beat policeman that has valuable information if you're looking for your kid.

What is much more common is for people to come to the orphanage looking for a kid that was lost or abandoned. They leave their contact and we call them if a kid ever shows up, which has never happened. I don't know myself what is happening with these situations. Kids as young as three and four go missing, and everyday you hear about a lost child or children but word never makes it out if they get found. There also seems to be way more people showing up looking for a kid then presenting a kid that was found. I just assume that because of these numbers there is just a surplus of kids forever lost. Unfortunately that's the general consensus among folks here.

No comments:

Post a Comment