September 4, 2012

In which TJ gets to play dentist

Well, after having made it back safely, I can say that I'm super happy I've found nothing burned down. But as I've found out, they usually wait for me to be alone till things burn down (true story). Needless to say, I'm overjoyed to be back with my kids. Any body that bumped in to me the last couple weeks of my time in the states knew I was having a thrill but was getting pretty anxious to get back. I found them in good health, but on short supply of soccer balls. That got fixed right away (thanks to you, donors).

But seriously, as much I expected them to be asking all about how I was and how my family was, all they had to say was that I missed maybe the most exciting two months in the history of everything, ever. There was the visit of a businessman who has dealing in Nampula and who prominently supports the orphanage, accompanied by a giant feast in his honor (which I new about and just feigned my shock and disappointment hearing I missed out).

There was also a visit by the Peace Corps as “half of America came and visit us and played games and brought snacks and treats (which I also new about and just feigned my shock and disappointment hearing I missed out).

There was also a big party and feast for Mozambican independence day (which I also also new about and just feigned my shock and disappointment hearing I missed out).

There was a visit from Regina during the school break. She is one of the girls from here and was on break during her first year of teaching out near the coast. She came back for the first time to see everybody and to throw a giant feast for the kids, replete with giant chickens, french fries, pop, salad, and cake for desert (which I also also also new about and just feigned my shock and disappointment hearing I missed out).

There was also a week-long, National culture and music festival at the soccer field half a click from the orphanage that resulting in school being shut down for a week and the bairro teeming with people and noise and distractions till all hours of the night (which I new about and was actually thrilled that I was not here for any of the madness).

They were assuming I'd be jealous about hearing about all the awesomeness, and I kinda was. Especially because I had talked to the Peace Corps people so many times about coming out to see the orphanage, and because I missed Regina coming back.

And I knew telling them about all the times I ate at Red Robin just wouldn't translate, and if I told them about my trip to Disneyland they just wouldn't understand. Nor to they comprehend us celebreating my grandparent's fiftieth anniversary. “You mean they're both turning fifty at the same time? Oh, you say they've been married fifty years? The whole time? To each other? I don't believe you.”

There is much more to tell, but in the meantime, here's some of those lovely faces I was so anxious to see.
Dorca finally found a productive way to help me with my laundry. Recall that previously, she would take all my freshly washed clothes and then dump them in the dirty water and pretend to wash them for me. Now, when I bring my clothes in off the line I found a way for her to carry the pins.

Ofeita found a way to help also. I just slipped about seven t-shirts over her head to carry them back to my house. Afterwards she asked if she could keep one of them to use a dress, it almost made it down to her toes.

Some people fashion me as the dad that plays cruel tricks on his kids. I like to think of myself as that crazy uncle that keep kids on their toes. Mena, 8, came home from school yesterday walking gingerly and refusing to talk to anyone. The others said she had a loose tooth ready to come out. I, like any generous person, offered to buy here sugar cane (which would have about the same effect as taffy, ripping that tooth right out of there). After refusing me offer, I made another. I told here if she left me see her tooth, I could tell her exactly how long until it would come out.

After about five minutes of getting her to go along with it, she finally relented. I took a look and she was a little apprehensive when I stuck my hand near her mouth. She asked how long it would be. I replied, "Right... about... now." And held her tooth in my hand.

The shocked look on her face was a mix between, "Oh no you didn't?!" and "I can't believe it was that easy."

That was the easy part. Getting the money from the tooth fairy under he pillow  was the hard part...

1 comment: