January 19, 2012

More Kids Out and On Their Way

Having mentioned earlier in the week about a few of the kids that have left/graduated/moved on, I thought it be good timing to mention the most recent kids that have gone on their way. They are all going off to pursue extra-curricular studies a.k.a. vocations. In Nampula, that is a surer way to get work than earning a degree from a university (or even diploma from high school).
Their responses to the questions are in italics.

ISATY
Isaty is a very hard worker and very adept at learning with his hands. He wants to do a year long course in auto-mechanics. We basically told him him that we have full confidence that any skill he puts he hands to he is dedicated enough to learn it and master it.

Age: 18, came to the orphanage at 10 years old and in 2nd grade.

What will you be studying? Why? General mechanics because it is a service oriented job and I don't quite have the skills to do something academic.

What do you hope at the end of 2 years to be able to say? I want to be in Nampula and be close to my family. I want a job at a respected garage, not just as a call-for-hire mechanic.

What are your favorite things to do (at the orphanage)? What will you miss? Miss my brothers that are here and for everyone else as well as the work and projects that we do around here.

How would you like us to pray for you? For me to understand the subjects and stay healthy, as well as for my relations with my classmates and instructors.

ZAQUEIO
You might recall from this time last year about we mentioned Zaqueio in a group of kids that didn't leave. We had wanted to sent him to a trade school in Beira, but shortly before January rolled around he came down with a mysterious stomach illness that saw him do at least three stays in the hospital and the doctors were contemplating surgery. Because of that, he stayed around waiting the start of the next school year (Jan).
He is one of the best kids we've ever had. It kind and considerate to a fault, and takes initiative in helping others and with the maintenence and construction projects here.

Age: 22. Came to the orphanage at 15years old and in and 3rd grade.

What will you be studying? Why? Electricity. Its something that I like to to and enjoy doing it when we have work around the house. Its a trade that I picked up a while ago. I like getting shocked, it'll help me live longer.


What do you hope at the end of 2 years to be able to say? Its hard to say. I'd like to be back here in Nampula but it depends on the work and what jobs there are. I don't give much thought to other things like houses or motorcycles.

What are your favorite things to do (at the orphanage)? What will you miss? I'm gonna miss everybody, and especially all the work and things that come up for me. I like to work and I'm going to miss doing jobs around here.

How would you like us to pray for you? Mostly for my studies, and also for my health. Also, when I look at my life, I see this sickness that hit me last year. It hasn't returned, but it is in the back of my mind nevertheless. I want to thank you because, since that time when I thought I was leaving it has been a time of tension for me personally and I thank you fo the people that have prayed and prayed especially for me.

GABRIEL
Gabriel as well was about to leave last year to trade school. Unfortunately, he was only weeks shy from getting his drivers license (a big deal here) and couldn't finish in time to go. Now he has his drivers license and worked on on off as a professional driver during the year. Gabriel will be missed by all as he is extremely caring and helpful and looks after all the other kids here. He is going with the other to a trade school in Beira.

As Gabriel was preparing to leave, he was being very quiet and avoiding everybody. At first we thought it is because he's naturally shy. Later, we discovered it was because he was trying to remain hidden from the rest of the boys. You see, on their soccer team, Gabriel is the unofficial coach. He's also the unofficial treasurer, so all the money the boys win from barnstorrming and waging on their games stays with him. It wasn't till he was about to leave for the bus station that someone remembered he had all the soccer money and they hunted him down to get it. It was a pretty amusing sight.

Age: 22. Came to us at 14years and in 6th grade.

What will you be studying? Why? Auto-mechanics, but possible electricity also. They are jobs that I would be happy doing and can see myself doing for a living. Also, will help with my commercial drivers license.

What do you hope at the end of 2 years to be able to say? I want to have work, and want to be using what I learned and not having to work a job in the streets.

What are your favorite things to do (at the orphanage)? What will you miss? Goofing around with others, and my friendships because I've been here as while have many great friends. I'm gonna miss playing soccer too.

How would you like us to pray for you? This last year kind of felt like I was wandering. Since I lost the chance to go last year I have been confused and doubting. Pray that I would find a home in this schooling. Also, pray that this would open up tremendous opportunities for me, much more than I can imagine now. Also, for friendships that I will be making there to be constructive and real. Simply, though, I just want to say thank you. I don't have sufficient words. Also to thank our family here who have passed these years with me.



GIZELA
Gizela has been one of the girls in charge of taking care of Dorca the last severaal years. She has also been very intentful with reaching out and reconciling with her family. She has a younger brother who lives on the other end of town that is being raised in a muslim home. She is very active in inviting him to our church and talking to him about Jesus.

Age: 17. Entered the orphanage at at 10 and never having attended school. Her mother simply refused to enroll her.

What will you be studying? Why? In Beira I will be taking a culinary program and maybe also beauty school if it fits my schedule. Beauty because I like it a lot and culinary because its a fun skill and if I can use it to work.

What do you hope at the end of 2 years to be able to say? I want a lot of money, want a chance to live in and visit other countries, want to have my own house and a good husband. I'm joking in all that, but in the least I want a job and a chance to help other people that don't have anything, like I did.

What are your favorite things to do (at the orphanage)? What will you miss? I'll miss playing in the band. Also, gonna miss all the other girls here a lot.

But not the boys? Ummm.... hahaha maybe I'll miss them too 

How would you like us to pray for you? I want to pray for success, for God to open doors for me to be able to make it. Pray for me to always remember and follow God and remember my family here in the orphanage.

This is going on the internet, so anything else you want to say? I only have thanks. Especially for Victor and the people that have raised me and protected me here at the orphanage. Also, thanks to the missionaries and cooks and people working here, to continue with joy and faith and for God to keep helping you. I know you all get tired a lot, but you do it because you love us. Also, to the people that help us a pray for us and support us, I have this life and this chance because of you, so thanks.

ALBERTINO
Albertino (the devious looking one on the right, standing next to our office worker, Pedro) is not a kid here. He's far to old (23) to be admitted to an orphanage. But he, like many people have needs. He lives down the hill from us with his brother.

They both work for us in some capacity. His brother works in the construction. As for Albertinho, he started coming by asking for work or jobs or things to do. Eventually, because jobs don't exist in Nampula, we notice that he too is an honest man of good character (all though still very goofy and immature at times) and because of all the help that he was giving us we started helping him out with food and clothing. He has a seventh grade education and a great work ethic and was a good influence being around the kids in this respect. Him being here the last 6 months though was primarily a chance for us to minister to him, take him to church, and influence his attitudes towards women and sex and marriage. (How a man can afford three girlfriends when he himself doesn't have a job I'll never know.)

The kids also know him as not just Albertino, but also Vieira. The first month working here he wore his only shirt, a soccer jersey with the name "Vieira" on the back. Because nobody bothered to ask what his name was he became known as that.

We are helping him out by sending Albertino to Beira with the others in order to learn a vocation. He was still undecided between electricity, culinary, or refrigeration and air conditioning. He'll be picking this week.

REGINA
Hopefully you all remember Regina. Last year she finished teacher's training and, since funding was scaled back, she along with many of her classmates were not placed in schools. (Here, you get placed into a job for teaching. There is no competitive hiring/selection process). This last year, she continued in school and finished twelfth grade. (Remember, after grade 10 you can get certified as a primary school teacher, which she did). This December after the school year finished she found out she got placed in a teaching job, finally.

Regina is heading out to the district of Angoche over on the coast. She is living in a community on the beach, but is about 40km (24miles) from the main town/electricity/roads/doctor. It is is the bush for sure. As she put it, she came from the bush and is returning to the bush, so it's nothing new for her.

Regina was in the first group of kids to come to the orphanage after every relative she was sent to live with ended up dying. Here brother Lazaro is also from the orphanage and is starting his second year of university.

I didn't get time do an interview like the rest of the kids, she has been busy the last month going back and forth moving stuff and taking care of paperwook at her new school. She's about a three hours away straight by car but transportation in the bush can be tricky sometimes. In spite of not having a lot of time, she did ask for prayer for three things in particular.

1) She is alone where she's going. There is only one person she knows, and he's a classmate of hers. 2) Living is harder out there and she knows it. Hopefully after several years she will have seniority to transfer back to Nampula or the district her family is originally from. 3) It is also a different culture, one that is not so welcoming to newcomers. It is heavily populated with muslims where she is going. She wants to find a good church and good community of friends to help with this transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment