March 14, 2011

God made me for Mozambique

There are several reasons why I enjoy myself here in Mozambique. Its one of those things where many people look and say, “Inconsistent electricity and running water? Scorching heat? Lack of food or resources? Constant poverty and sickness? No thanks, I’ll pass.” I don’t say those things.

But that’s the reason you’re there and I’m here.

A large part of the reason I’ve come back and stayed is because I truly deep-down feel that God wants me to do this and in turn He has given me an incredible amount of joy being here. Not necessarily making things enjoyable—life is still hard—but giving me real joy. Abundant joy. That is why I know that Jesus wants me here, now. There are certainly times when it is hard and more times will come when I don’t want to here, but I’m praying that Jesus will continue to give me joy when that time comes.

The other, more lighthearted reasons I know that Jesus created me with Mozambique in mind in things like this don’t really bug me.

We killed this beauty about two weeks back. It was about 5 feet long (1.5 meters) and crushed it with a rock. Or rather, we shifted a rock pile and then found it had been crushed without us knowing it was there. We’re lucky the rock smashed the head because it was still wiggling when we killed it for good. But its things like this that don’t really bother me, whereas they absolutely freak some people out over here. Sorry, you live in a country with over 40 species of snakes. Get used to it.

Also, while I haven’t been able to identify the species (people here just know cobras and mambas, which don’t sound to friendly) I have found via several snake identification guides that if the snake is brown or black, you’re screwed.

Another way I know that God wants me in Mozambique is I have hairy forearms. Stick with me for a minute, I’m going somewhere.

There is a poisonous millipede here that tends to fall out of trees. I don’t think it’s trying to, it just does. For identification purposes it is black, about an inch or so long, and has a thousand legs (give or take about 4). If your skin comes in contact with it within about an hour it will effect only the area of contact and leave a blister that looks like the result of a second degree burn. It’s not pretty, and is painful, and heals after about a week with no long term damage (I don’t know that for sure, I’m just kind of guessing at this point).

About a week ago I was resting under a tree. Foolish me for seeking out the shade. I felt something hit my arm and watched as the aforementioned millipede crawled from my just below my elbow down to my wrist and then jumped off. I thought, “Yep, I’m screwed.” I waited over the next hour for something to happen. After one hour turned to two turned to four I gave up and went to bed.

I awoke the next morning and had forgotten all about it until I took a shower. Then I noticed the damage. I feel bad even calling it damage. It looked as if I had gotten a sunburn strip down my arm where the millipede ran off. The only thing I can think of is that the little bugger ran across the hair on my arm and never really made contact with my skin. Just one of the many ways Jesus spared me last week from something that could’ve been far worse.

Recap: God makes me happy, snakes are no big deal, and millipedes can't touch this.

2 comments:

  1. I saw your post and was curious about the snake so I emailed my brother who is a bonifide snake guru, and asked him what type of snake it was and here is what he said. "hmmm, hard to tell. Looks like a cobra, there are several species of cobras in Africa though. I'm almost certain it is a highly venomous species, either cobra, or oddly patterned mamba. Sad that it was destroyed"
    Can you tell that he loves snakes.

    Hope your doing great TJ. To Christ be the Glory!
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am NOT an expert, but from what I could find and others I've talked to it was either an adder or a mamba. No hood, so no cobra, I think... I've also heard its common here that different types of adders will crossbreed, the same with the other snakes, so its possible its a mix. If he wants a hi-res pic just email on the side.

    and yes, I'm doing great thanks to Jesus. Say hi to the group for me.

    ReplyDelete