November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving

I wanted to get this out sooner, but we lost power and internet like crazy. The internet just came back. Thanks to everybody who sent me birthday/Thanksgiving wishes (yes, they were the same day this year).

God has given me a lot of reason to be thankful this year. For example, here is everything that happened to me yesterday and the reasons I’m thankful.

  • I’m thankful for waking up at 4:30 and driving to the market to buy more beans so we could eat lunch. The thirty minutes I sat in the car while Helder was inside buying beans were amazing as I got to watch the sun rise over Nampula.
  • I’m thankful for returning home and taking an ice-cold shower with running water and a roof over my head. You don’t know how long I’ve been waiting for running water. Or the roof.
  • I’m thankful for having a special birthday breakfast with Victor and Christina. Christina makes the best french toast this side of the Zambezi. Yes, my birthday was on thanksgiving this year.
  • I’m thankful for having enjoyed the morning chatting with by new friends, Joe, Courtney, and Patricia, who all happen to be staying here while traveling through Mozambique.
  • I’m thankful for exploring parts unknown with Joe (visitor) and Jeremias (kid at the orfonato) as we’re looking for my friend who has a barber shop “somewhere over there” according to everybody we asked.
  • I’m thankful for sitting patiently for 2 hours as the barber tried to cut my massive head of thick hair (which is still falling out and receding, I swear) while 20 little kids looked on in amazement because not only was it the first time a white man has come to their neighborhood its also the first time they seen one getting his hair cut.
  • I’m thankful for spending the last hour of the haircut telling the barber about the Gospel after he asked what the heck I’m doing in Nampula and why can’t I afford a car like all the others.
  • I’m thankful for running into Gabriel (another kid at the orfonato) on the way home on the last chapa (bus) of the day and watching a fight ensue and the driver pull over halfway home and telling everybody to get off. Quality entertainment.
  • I’m not quite as thankful for the 45-minute walk home after the bus left us in the middle of nowhere.
  • I’m thankful for the visitors provided the money to give the kids and I an awesome Thanksgiving dinner that included for everybody: a huge plate of rice, a giant pile of french fries, ¼ of a chicken, a pop, ice cream, and home-made chocolate chip cookies.
  • I’m thankful that everybody got to slap me on the back (a Mozambican birthday tradition, or so I’m told…)
  • I’m thankful for all the laughing and joking going at dinner and everybody lying around with their belt unbuckled (just like home).
  • I’m thankful for experiencing the Holy Spirit during the spontaneous time of worship and prayer after dessert that lasted for almost 2 hours.
  • I’m thankful that our singing drowned out the noise of the witchcraft ceremony happening next door.
  • I’m thankful that, even though I dearly miss my family and friends, Jesus has provided me with a fun and amazing group of family and friends here in Nampula to celebrate with.

No comments:

Post a Comment