February 26, 2012

A (Late) Christmas Gift

First, I would be remiss if I didn't take a chance to wish a happy birthday to my Grandma. An avid reader of this site, she is one sweet gal and doesn't look a day over 93. That's good, because she's nowhere close in age to being 93. Fun Fact #1: Grandma shares a birthday with baseball great Honus Wagner and famous actor Abe Vigoda. Fun Fact #2: Of the three of them, only one is still alive. (Abe Vigoda is still totally dead, right?)

Moving on, I'd like to take another chance to thank those of you that help to contribute to my/our ministry here. Its thanks to you guys that I get to fun stuff like Christmas presents for the kids. This year, instead of getting soccer balls for the boys and mirrors for the girls, I decided to give the gift of reading. No, I'm not one of those horrible parents that buys a dictionary for his kid and then forces him to read it, but close.

The last two years the kids have been asking for new Bibles and told they'd eventually get them. Seeing that day not coming any closer, I took it upon myself to go out and make it a Christmas present for every kid that A) didn't have a Bible and B) knows how to read. I kind of expected them to be disappointed finding out it was their Christmas gift, asking instead to replenish the soccer ball supply or a new package of hair extensions, but you know what?

THEY TOTALLY LOVED IT!

Belson and Victor with their new Bibles.

Francisco and Riquito trying not to look awkward together.

Atija and Ofeita like the fact that these are hard-covered.

Estela and Ronilda asked to make sure they are in Portuguese. Yes, they are.

Dionisio and Celso prefer them to what was their previous Bible, a shared, pocket-sized, Gideons, New-Testament-only Bible that fell apart, leaving him with Matthew, Mark, and part of Luke.

And Ganito is just happy that he finally learned to read last year. Samito celebrates with him.

These dozen kids just received their first Bible, courtesy of all you out there helping to support me. From myself, and them, a BIG thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment