August 20, 2009

Pictures!!!




You want it, we got it. Just to give you a few snapshots of what life has been like up to this point. Whenever we go somewhere, its usually piling in the back of the truck and hitting the road. I've found that it doesn't matter if I'm riding or driving, I usually attract attention. If I'm riding, I usually get shouts of "Ihali" meaning 'how are you' or "ihali, macunya" which means 'how are you, white person". If I'm driving the truck there are usually atleast 5 or 6boys in the back. Usually we're out getting supplies, which only requires 3 people to do. The other 2 or three boys are to beat people off the truck because people jump on thinking that I'm hiring workers for the day.



Here's a shot of Victor in the back of the truck with us. As much business as there is needing to be tended to, I think he likes to passear (joy-ride) just as much as everybody else here. The other feet and passengers you see are when a group from South Carolina came out for 10 days about two weeks ago.


Here I am in my element. My portuguese is rough around the edges, but I'm fluent in math, science and physics. They were all shocked to learn I like math and even more shocked when I said "I would help them with their homework" that I didn't mean "I'll do it for you". The school system here works basically on attrition. How long can you fake your way through while actually learning enough to pass your exams at the end of the year. If you're not good enough you pay bribes, get somebody else to take it for you, etc. Some of their teachers are also horrible, and I am pointing out errors in their notes constantly. I'm also fairly certain that if I walked into any classroom and said I was an engineer from America, they'd just leave and let me teach. I might try it someday.




I just thought this was humorous. Christina had some cereal she gave to me the first few days to help me adjust. For those that can't read it says "Quad'z: The Bombastic Taste Experience". In other funny news, one of the first things I learned to say in Portuguese was "eu tenho Jesu Cristo" (ignore the spelling. I can speak it, not read it) which means "I have Jesus Christ". The reason I learned this was my refusal to shave when I arrived resulted in me getting several salaam alekums from muslims who must have though I was some sort of imaam from the west. I have subsquently reversed my position on shaving.


Here I am digging the septic tank out. Its not uncommon to have about 4 or five people watching you work. It only means that they're standing there taking shifts.



Here is a giant tree outside a lumber yard. This type of tree isn't the kind that is being used for lumber, but what I find funny is just about where the image cuts off at the top is as far as the branches go out.
If you’ve made it this far, please pray for the rampant spreading of sickness going around right now. About fifteen of the 50+ kids here have gotten a cold in the last week and I just joined those numbers today. And think it might be hard to introduce some good ol’ fashioned chicken noodle soup and 7-Up around here.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, these are awesome. Thanks TJ, I'm liftin' one up for ya.

    ReplyDelete