March 13, 2012

A Letter For My Cousin

A little bit ago I got a letter from my cousin as part of her grade-school homework of learning how to write letters. I figured I'd better reply before she gets an 'F' for the assignment. That would be my fault, and then I'd feel like a jerk.

Dear Cousin,

It is good to hear how you are. I was so happy to get your letter. I am doing well here at the orphanage and am always very busy with all the kids. There's over forty of them! The weather here is very hot. Right now it is the rainy season, almost the hottest time of the year. In the morning the sun shines and then later around dinner time it gets cloudy and starts to rain. The rain is good because we need it for the river for growing food and water for drinking.

You asked a lot of good questions, so I'll try to respond to all of them. I've done some traditional art that the kids have taught me. One of the favorite forms of art is to part of a soap tree, mash it up, and use it to decorate and paint our faces. I only did it once because painting the faces is only for the girls to do and they all thought it was really funny to see a boy doing it. The boys don't do much art because they are busy playing soccer all the time. There aren't any other sports here, only soccer. But if there were other sports I know the boys would love to do them. It's good to hear you are involved in so many sports and activities. They're lots of fun!

In Mozambique we don't celebrate the same holidays there are in America. A popular holiday is Children's day when we celebrate all the kids. We don't have Halloween and people don't celebrate Christmas much because many people here don't know about Jesus. For Christmas my parents sent me a box with my presents. I got a new calendar, batteries, a t-shirt, and a referee uniform to use for our soccer games. But I'm glad you mentioned Valentines Day. That is one of people's favorite holidays here. They like it so much that it's not just one day but TWO.

As for candy here, sometimes we have suckers and lollipops, but what we have a lot of is sugar cane. The sugar cane is very sweet but it is hard to chew because it has a hard cover. Only people with strong teeth can eat it. Many of the kids with their baby teeth can't. For the kids without strong teeth they can eat popcorn. We sometimes make popcorn for watching during movies. The kids like to watch movies a lot, but because most of the movies are in English they don't understand so I have to tell them what is going on.

I'm sorry for taking a long time to write back and hope your teacher doesn't get angry at me for making you wait so long. Keep studying hard and say hello to the rest of your family. I miss you all very much,

Sincerely,
TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment