September 15, 2011

What up, Finland?!

In a very self-reverential post, it's time to take a look at some of the oddities that are this website. Yes, the entire site is somewhat odd (I mentioned Bjork, Flounder from Animal House and Jar Jar Binks in the same article last week) but there are some other odd things to be found by digging just a little deeper.

First, I wish to apologize to the roughly 32% of people who, when clicking on the site, end up staying for over an hour. I hope that it's people actually reading and not opening a browser tab and then leaving to walk your cat. And I'm apologizing because I referenced Jar Jar Binks last week and I'm sure that's all you thought about going to sleep that night. Sorry.

Second, I want to acknowledge that ever once in a while somebody will come to the site because they are searching for something entirely unrelated. A whopping 95% of search terms that lead to the site are derivatives of [TJ Goes to Africa]. The other five percent over the last several weeks have been people looking for, “Danny Almonte”, “shopping in nampula africa kinds of stores”, “catch geese in an old mattress”, “hermie wants to be a dentist”, and my personal favorite, “in africa, what are the steps to follow when you are ritualing [sic] the sick person”.

Now, it's time for a random shout-out to new readers. These are people who have actually clicked on the site multiple times and not because they were searching for “Bjork touring dates Africa”. Folks that clicked on the site, and then decided to click back later and stay for a while. I want to send a big hello to readers from Finland, Taiwan, Norway, Australia, India, Saudi Arabia (in which I'm sure is still an accidental search, I just can't prove it) and Soviet Russia (where blog reads you).

1 comment:

  1. Finland salutes you, TJ.

    I'm working here for several months, so really you just lost a Seattle reader. If i check your site later this week, you should get a Russia and possibly a Sweden or Estonia as well.

    Also, we are in the same time zone.

    Sean Y.

    ReplyDelete