August 9, 2011

In Which TJ Gets a Little Homesick

My life here is about Mozambique. Well, its also about Jesus, and that's the only reason I'm here. Its why I came to Mozambique, its why I live in Mozambique. Its very plain to me every day that I definitely don't live in America. And yet, there are many things that I consider to be part of my identity that got left behind when I came here. I'm not talking about getting rid of my sense of humor or love of random trivia or infatuation with Carrie Underwood. I'm talking about the things that I enjoy that I no longer have the opportunity to do.

The more I think about it--the things that I really miss--the more I discover that it really revolves around three things: family, sports, and the intersection of the two. Its hard because I really miss these things, and it can be easy for them to turn into idols. Its easy to lose track of time and sit in front of facebook for hours trying to figure what my friends are all doing. Its also a pretty narcissistic exercise, so I try to avoid it when I can, but there's just certain times that I can't help but miss things. Things like:

...my family. I miss them a lot. All of them. Especially bbqs and birthday parties.


...hamburgers. I would give a kidney for them to put a Red Robin in Nampula.

...my friends. Its hard not having them there to hang out with. I can't think of the number of times I've thought, "Oh, this would be fun if [this friend] was here to see this." Its also weird feeling like a 1-way street of information, as I put so much stuff up here I feel people have at least a good idea what I'm doing, and the pipeline of info coming the other way tends to be a little limited based on time and the aforementioned narcissism of facebook browsing.

...baseball. God, do I miss baseball. I don't even care that the Mariners are losing. Statistically over the life of the Mariners a normal season sees them lose 88 times a year. And I don't think Nintendo has any plans to change it. But not being able to go to games I try to read everything I can about baseball.

...Dave Neihaus. I can't even listen to the radio here and its still hard knowing that when I get back Dave will not be calling the games. M's fans will understand.

...sitting around with my family watching pretty much any sporting event. The Superbowl, Daytona 500, the Apple Cup, any one those 88 (or 100) Mariners losses, the NCAA tourney, the Stanley Cup, darts on FSN ("One 'onred eighty!!!").

...playing frisbee. Man, these kids here just do not get frisbee. Or any game with hand-eye coordination.

...getting destroyed by my brothers while playing pretty much any video game.

...watching Mom try to play the drums for Beatles Guitar Hero.

...seeing Dad sing along to Beatles Guitar Hero.

...changing seasons. The temperature moves here some, and the rain will come and go, but there are not distinct seasons like there are back home in Seattle. Granted, 4-out-of-4 season's in Seattle involve rain, where here it's just one, so Mozambique does have that going for it.

...food. Seriously, just pick about any food and we don't have it here. And a nice beer. Not a cheep beer, I can get that here. I'm talking about a good beer.

Please don't read this post and think to yourself, "Oh, dear. TJ's gone over the edge." Its not that at all. For all the things that I have given up, there are tons of things I have gained. I picked up 50+ family members here in our orphanage. I've got new friends (although I dearly miss the old). I get to talk sports with the kids (arguments always revolve around them being convinced Africa will win the next world cup and me desperately trying to explain that Africa is not a country). I get the extreme joy that comes from serving Jesus in a radical and life-changing way. I get the extreme sorrow that comes from serving Jesus in a radical and life-changing way. And I get the extreme comfort that comes from serving Jesus in a radical and life-changing way. My family and friends and love of baseball are all irreplaceable, but all these things definitely make up for it.

1 comment:

  1. I love your honesty TJ! I'm sure people would only think you had gone over the edge if you didn't miss some of what you had left behind, honestly. You are in our prayers and everything you miss, misses you back! (Well, the humans at least. I can't speak for sports or inanimate objects.)

    ReplyDelete