January 10, 2011

Malaria Update

Well, seeing as I don't have much energy or care about having an awesome and carefully worded update on how I'm doing I'm just going to put it all out there. For those of you who went to the wikipedia page for malaria right away and tried to figure out what's going on, you're probably super confused. Here's the super simple run down of what's happening.
  • Malaria ends up giving you (among other things) a fever. Its usually a 24 or 48 hour cycle. For me, I've been getting a fever starting around 4pm and continuing until the middle of the night, breaking, and then the fever leaving early in the morning.
  • After that, the cycles continues and during the day I don't have a fever. But, as you can guess, I feel pretty much like crap. From not sleeping much at night, I rest a lot during the day and kind of wait for my temp to return in the evening.
  • The test to know if you have malaria is widely available and cheep ($3) and the medicine is about he same. After my first fever I went and got the test and started taking the medication. People get into trouble when they wait because they fever leaves and think they're golden and the 24 or 48 later it returns and kicks their butt.
  • Everybody reacts different to the medicine. For the type of malaria I have there's about 3 or 4 different medications to take. The pharmacists just start with whichever will mess you up the least. All the medications will mess you up. Some people get worse from the medicine and then start taking a different kind. Some people get better within hours after taking the medicine. Others get worse and then as soon as the medicine stops feel right as rain.
  • I've not gotten worse, but I've definitely not gotten tons better. The medicine does a number on you because it has to in order to get at the malaria. Most people start feeling better after they've finished all their medicine. So for me I'm guessing I cross that bridge sometime this afternoon.
Thanks for all your prayers, and sorry for keeping folks in the dark for so long. No, you do not need to come and rescue me, and yes, I will get back to 100 percent eventually.

and go Seahawks!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend TJ! From what I've heard malaria can be a pain in the butt. I'll keep praying you make a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete